The Y recognizes that as kids face the challenges of adolescence they are more likely to begin distancing themselves from formal organizations, friends and family to engage and experiment in unhealthy behaviors. The Jefferson City Area YMCA’s 8th Grade Initiative (8GI) offers an alternative where these youth can make new friends, discover their passions and begin to develop and cultivate a healthy lifestyle at a young age. As Jefferson City’s leader in promoting a strong mind, body and spirit we want to ensure these youth are set up for future success through an active lifestyle.
Any 8th grade student is eligible for a free membership at the Jefferson City Area YMCA during the duration of their 8th grade year. A membership application must be completed for a student to take part.
Registration for the program will open August 8 and students may sign up at any Jefferson City Area Y front desk. Student and parent must be present and provide proof of 8th Grade enrollment. 8GI members have full access to all three Jefferson City Area YMCA facilities.
Students will be invited to attend three core classes during the year with a focus on finances, self-defense and physical health. Prizes will be awarded at each class and students in attendance will become eligible for a yearly grand prize.
- Promote YMCA Character Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Increase physical and mental wellness.
- Develop and support healthy exercise and eating habits.
- Provide a safe and secure atmosphere.
- Establish a sense of belonging in each child.
- Have fun!
8GI members have full access to the Jefferson City Area YMCA’s 3 facilities, which includes:
- Full use of cardio and strength equipment
- Group Exercise classes
- Pool use
- Basketball, tennis and racquetball courts
- Specialized 8GI programming opportunities
For more information, call Isaac at 761.9504 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.